Wednesday, May 16, 2007

LIVESTRONG DAY 2007

Today was LIVESTRONG DAY, when the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) mobilizes thousands of cancer survivorship advocates throughout the country. Delegates from every state met with elected officials in Washington D.C., while hundreds of local events took place across the country- all organized by volunteers.

A quick glance on the LAF web site showed there were no events organized in my community, so I immediately thought of what I could do. Surely I could do something. Anything. At the very least, I could hand out LIVESTRONG wrist bands and tell local school children about Lance Armstrong's amazing story.

Sure, cancer is a weighty subject for kids, yet it affects 3 out of every 4 families in America. How do you talk about cancer with kids? At least Armstrong's story provides an optimistic- even inspiring- way to look at the disease, so I attempted- after reading one too many Dr. Seuss books- to tell it in verse. Here's an excerpt:

Lance finally got better, but it took awhile
When he was all better he just had to smile

The doctor said "Wait, I want you to know
Your cancer could always come back tomorrow."

Lance said, "Okay, there’s just one thing to do:
We’ll have to fight cancer, but I’ll need your help too."

(Read entire story here)


After reading to my daughter's class of 4 and 5-year-olds, I showed them a video sent by the LAF, then collected penny donations from the class to help fight cancer. Everyone who donated will receive a yellow LIVESTRONG wrist band from the LAF. It's not much, but it's something. And who knows, maybe one of these kids will cure cancer one day.


No comments: