Monday, October 1, 2007

In Memory of Al Oerter

Al Oerter died today at the age of 71. The 4-time Olympic Gold Medalist can be considered the greatest Olympian of all-time, not only for his incredible come-from-behind Olympic victories spanning 4 Olympiads, or for his numerous Olympic and World Records. Oerter emulated the 3 Olympic ideals of excellence, friendship and respect perhaps better any athlete I know.

I'm fortunate to work in the Adams Alumni Center for the KU Alumni Association, where the All-American Room pays tribute to the greatest KU athletes of all-time in a series of painted murals. Fittingly, Oerter's likeness occupies the symbolic centerpiece above the fireplace, representing the best characteristics exhibited by these famed Jayhawk champions.

On the occasion of Oerter's last visit to the University of Kansas in 2004, I was honored to emcee his induction ceremony to the Kansas Relays Hall of Fame. At that time, I penned a letter to the editor that was published in the Lawrence Journal-World, which appears below, in tribute.

To the editor:

You can tell a lot about a person by his handshake, which begs the question, who has had the strongest grip of anyone I've met? This I can answer with certainty. It was Al Oerter. When I was a boy, my dad took me to the Kansas Relays where I got to meet the former Olympic discus thrower and shake his hand. I vividly remember his giant hand engulfing my 9-year-old mitt. Yet Oerter was a gentle giant who assured you everything was under control.

The handshake of this four-time gold medalist did not merely suggest his strength of character. Oerter's strength was his character, always competing with class, winning with dignity. Arguably the greatest Olympian of all time, he returned this weekend for the first time in 20 years to be inducted into the new Kansas Relays Hall of Fame. Let's all welcome this KU track and field legend and give him a hand.

David Johnston, Lawrence (4/18/2004)

Al Oerter
1936 - 2007

No comments: