Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bleeding Kansas

Saturday's game was so bad, I don't know where to begin. There was nothing good about it, particularly the location. Rather than discuss the value of revenue and national attention, I'm reminded of a lesson I learned at an early age, when someone wanted me to bet on a KU game, looking to profit from my blind loyalty. I told that person what I still believe. Simply, that pride is worth more to me than money. The game was KU's 1984 upset of #2 ranked Oklahoma, arguably our biggest football victory ever. With that in mind, let me try to put Saturday in perspective. My top 5 worst losses in KU history:

#5 - OU clinching the Big 8 hoops title in Allen Fieldhouse, watching Wayman Tisdale cut down our nets.

#4 - mizzou beating KU in Allen Fieldhouse in the late 80's, a match-up of the #1 and #2 ranked teams in the nation.

#3 - kstate's win at Memorial Stadium in 1994 when they tore down our goalposts and began a decade-long winning streak.

#2 - Arizona's surprise upset during the '97 NCAA tournament at Birmingham, defeating a 34-2 team that was arguably KU's best team ever.

#1 - Saturday. By far.

No comments: