Saturday, April 28, 2007

First 5k


I remember my first 5k- I was 10 years old, and my childhood friend/rival (he came from a big Mizzou family) called me at 6am one Saturday, basically to dare me to run a 5k he was doing that morning with his mom. Naturally, I begged my mom and dad to take me, only to get beat by one second. The frustration of that loss probably fueled my entire running career.

So I didn't take it lightly when my oldest daughter, Sydney, asked to do the "Hilltop Hustle", a benefit for her child development center, with me this year. Since I still try to be competitive, I've been fortunate to win this particular 5k a few times- my favorite moment coming the year that Sydney (only 2 at the time) broke away from her mom to run after me at the finish- we crossed the line together, sharing the thrill of victory.

Now at age 4, she'll be going into kindergarten next fall, so she's in her last year of preschool at Hilltop. Frankly, I thought this was the perfect first 5k for her to try. Plus, I reasoned, once she tried and failed, it would give her a greater appreciation for the accomplishment once she was old enough to actually finish the entire distance. I figured the biggest challenge would be holding her interest, assuming she would want to go home after a mile or two.

Well, surprise surprise. Sydney was geared up and ready to go, running the first 3/4 of a mile before slowing to a walk. She then ran off and on, pointing out familiar landmarks on the KU campus ("There's Phog Allen's statue dad- is that really him?"). I almost lost her to the Chi-O fountain, filled with soap bubbles, but after multiple offers to stop and go home, she said she wanted to finish- even quoting a favorite storybook character, Madeline, from a recent movie who said "I can do anything."

She did, sprinting down the stretch after spotting her mom, sister Sophia and schoolmates, and once again, we crossed the finish line together. It took about one-hour, but she did it all herself. And she has the medal, and the memories, to prove it.

No comments: