Friday, June 6, 2008

Have you ever...

Heard of Brandi Carlile? She was the opening act at last night's Sheryl Crow concert in Kansas City, and she absolutely blew me away. That's why I love opening acts. I love the discovery. And while Carlile is definitely a fresh face, she's hardly new.

She described herself in a 2005 Rolling Stones profile (10 Artists to Watch) saying, "I get all sorts of comparisons but never to one person. It's more like, 'Sheryl Crow meets Patsy Cline,' which makes me feel good. At least there's some originality there."

Carlile skyrocketed to fame last year when the title track of her new album, The Story, was featured on TV's highest rated show, Grey's Anatomy (if you missed it, please watch below). Compilation soundtracks, like those from Grey's, Scrubs or other shows, are a terrific launching pad for many up and coming artists. It seems like I've found most of my favorite artists this way, including Carlile.

The pint-sized country rocker is small, but packs a voice that is, in a single breath, both beautifully melodic and explosive. NPR did a nice interview with her a year ago that showcases her voice, and her Web site offers tracks that are definitely worth hearing, such as Have You Ever, reminiscent of Patsy Cline, or Sarah Mclauchlin singing with Texas crooner Robert Earl Keen. Also check out Turpentine and Until I Die to get a sense of her vocal presence and control. She also does a cover of Radiohead's Creep that'll give you chills.

Last night I watched her cover Patsy Cline and sing on stage with Sheryl Crow, so I can tell you the comparisons are not merely earned. Brandi Carlile stole the show.*



*And I'm not just saying that because Sheryl Crow is a missouri grad.

No comments: