Monday, June 30, 2008

Must See TV

I love this time of year. I love it not only because I enjoy running outside in the Kansas heat and humidity, but I love being inside too, watching some of my favorite events on TV. Let's start with the Cubs.

With the hottest record in baseball heading into June, the Cubs have one of the best home field advantages in all of sports. Taking in a game at Wrigley Field is a singular experience any time, but in the summer, with a hot dog and an Old Style, there's no better place to be. Especially this summer. After all, it's been exactly 100 years since the Cubs last won it all. It's been 10 years since I lived in Chicago, but- as it turns out- they sell hot dogs and Old Style in Lawrence, Kansas! And thanks to WGN, I can enjoy the friendly confines from my family room. Go Cubs Go!

Meanwhile, heading into the 4th of July weekend, we're also right smack in the middle of Wimbledon. Now, I'm no tennis player, and I'm not even much of a tennis fan 11 months out of the year, but when Wimbledon rolls around, I watch every match- and I mean every match I can. I don't know if it's the all-white rule at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, the strawberries and cream, or maybe its just Maria Sharipova. Whatever it is, Wimbledon is a classic- and a tradition that is not to be missed.

Finally, to top it all off, this is an Olympic year- something I look forward to four years in advance, when sign at the closing ceremonies reads "See you in Beijing!" Currently, the U.S. Olympic Trials are taking place in Eugene, Oregon, the Mecca of running, also known as "track town USA." Hayward Field at the University of Oregon, is the sport's cathedral, so anytime the trials come to Eugene, it's a special event. And by the time 08.08.08 rolls around, I'll be ready to watch the Opening Ceremonies- for the first time in HD.

Throw in the Tour de France plus new episodes of My Boys and Burn Notice, and you can bet I'll be glued to my TV all summer. That is, when I'm not out running... fueled, of course, by hot dogs and Old Style. Ah, summer.

No comments: