Wednesday, July 23, 2008

2008 LIVESTRONG Summit

Earlier this year, I was chosen by the Lance Armstrong Foundation to be a delegate to the 2008 LIVESTRONG Summit, which is being held this weekend at the Ohio State University in Columbus. I'm excited to meet other cancer activists from around the country, particularly those from other research universities. Although we'll hear from some famous folks and leading cancer experts, including former U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona, Senator John McCain and, of course, Lance Armstrong, I think I'm most excited about the workshops.

Sessions will focus on topics like grassroots advocacy, building a volunteer army, organizing community events, engaging voters and holding leaders accountable. I know I'll learn a lot, and I'll be eager to get back to campus to enlist KU students, faculty, staff and members of the Lawrence community in this fight against cancer. There's a lot we can do. Watch this space for more. In the meantime, enjoy this video about the 2008 LIVESTRONG Summit.

No comments: