Friday, July 11, 2008

Glory waiting to happen

In the fall of 2007, Colby Wissel crossed the finish line at the NCAA national cross country championships to end his prolific career as KU's last cross country All-American, and the sport's first back-to-back All-American since 1959. Now, the KU alumnus is forming a team of KU alumni to compete again at Rim Rock Farm in the Bob Timmons Invitational on August 30th.

Regardless of fitness or injury, you can bet I'll be there to run alongside some of the best runners to suit up for Kansas. Just as appealing is the opportunity to run one of the most beautiful- and toughest- cross country courses in America. Add to that a heaping dose of pride, tested against a crop of current, enthusiastic Jayhawks, and I have all the motivation I need to get ready. I have 7 weeks.

When I described the experiment to my wife, she said, "well that's an injury waiting to happen." I said, "No dear, the word you're looking for is 'glory.'" I'll keep you posted.

No comments: