Thursday, July 3, 2008

Independence Day

Celebrating the birth of our nation this fourth of July weekend, I recall my favorite fourths over the years, which have a familiar routine. Burgers are usually involved after a day at the pool or playing in the yard. Sparklers, Popsicles and fireworks over Lawrence complete the scene. But perhaps my favorite tradition, I'm almost embarrassed to say, is when we go inside at the end of the day to watch "A Capitol Fourth" on PBS. The fireworks over our nation's capitol are a special treat each year, reminding me of the best 4th of July ever, in the summer 1994.

That was the year my brother and I went to D.C. to begin an internship on Capitol Hill for Senator Kassebaum. We took in the show with our friends on the Capitol grounds, brought our own apple pie, and watched the crowds gathered on the mall. It was THE place to be, and if you ever have the chance to celebrate the 4th in Washington, you should go. It was an incredible time to be in Washington, and someday, I hope to take my family back. This year, however, you'll find me playing outside with my girls, or at the grill with a Sam Adams. Here's to a safe, All-American holiday weekend, with all the best to you and yours. Cheers!

No comments: