Wednesday, July 16, 2008

It's Complicated


To prepare quickly for the Aug 30th cross country race at Rim Rock, I knew I'd have to adjust my regular summer training, consisting of moderately paced runs between 6 and 10 miles. Time to step it up with some interval work. Besides, I remember I used to visit a track near my home. It sounded like a good idea anyway, but, like so many things, my relationship with the track is complicated.

I used to love the track. Back in college, we had a very close relationship. I saw her everyday. We spent a lot of time together- sure there were some rough patches, but we had some great times too. Unfortunately, some time after college, I fell in love with other things, like cheeseburgers, a good beer, and well, we stopped seeing each other.

So I was a little apprehensive visiting the track last night for the first time in years. Would she even remember me? Would she be glad to see me, or not? Maybe, I thought, I could just pick it up where I left off...

No chance. Turns out, the track did remember me, and she wasn't happy about the way I had left her. Now, I found myself pleading for her forgiveness, and mercy. No such luck. She kept reminding me how long it had been, how I was taking things too fast. She said, "take it easy, we've got a lot of catching up to do." She was right. I was jumping the gun, so we slowed things down.

After a long night of getting reacquainted, I think we may be able to patch things up. I don't think I'll ever love her the way I once did, but maybe, one day, we can become friends again. We'll just have to take things very slow. One step at a time.

No comments: